Solo trip around Italy n.4 - Itinerary for Bologna, Bardolino and Florence

Hey guys! 😊

Here is my next part of solo trip around Italy. Today I'm going to talk about these three cities Bologna and Bardolino and Florence.🍕🍷

BOLOGNA

As you know I've finished in Verona, from there I went to Bologna, where I met my Italian friend, and I've stayed at her place for a few days. We explored the city a bit and after lunch we went to Modena (city about 30 minutes from Bologna by train) for Balsamic vinegar tasting. Because that's where is the Balsamico from. Another day we went to Bologna again to meet my other Italian friend, and we had lunch at really good restaurant named Va Mo Lá. Of course, I had to try the lasagne with the Bolognese sauce. 

Bologna itself has a nickname the ''Red Bologna'', because the majority of the city consists of brick buildings. This place is also known for many towers, for example the popular two leaning towers. There are also many other gems, I'm going to write them in the bottom for my tips what to see. 👇

Curiosity🌟 - This place named Palazzo del Podesta (last picture) has really unique ability. It has a nickname ''The Palace of whispering walls'' because when you will walk under the arches of the palace, you will for sure see people, turned their faces to the pillars of the wall. That's because if one person stands in one side of the corner and the other person on the opposite side, you can hear each other. Hidden window where you can see the canal Via Piella (3rd picture).


BARDOLINO

This is my last city in the Lago di Garda I've visited and here I went with my Italian friend by car. It was really cute historical place also full of tulips like Sirmione. There is a nice promenade for walks and watching a sunset, that's what we did. The city is full of really pretty stone houses and other historical buildings filled with roses. There is also many options for restaurants and bars.

We went for walk around the city, then we went to a bar named PLEASE Cocktail bar and took a Hugo spritz (2nd picture). Later on we had dinner at restaurant named Trattoria Bardo also really good place to eat. Then we were about to go home, but the car stopped working, so we had a little breakdown haha and then a ride with the tow truck. What a finish of the trip. 😅


FLORENCE

After a few days I left my friend and went to Florence (approx 1,5 hour from Modena to Florence by train). Here I lived in hostel near the train station called Plus Florence. I arrived in the evening, so I walked through the city and went to sleep. The next day I went for breakfast to place called La Ménagére (I wouldn't recommend) really nice place, but the food wasn't really good, even though the reviews were mostly positive, maybe bad luck.  Anyway Florence is super pretty as you all probably know, I went here a few years ago but was happy to come back, it has such a phenomenal atmosphere. Later on I had a reservation for the famous Uffizi Gallery (2nd picture), which is known for the rich collection of incredible artworks mainly from the period of Italian Renaissance. I really recommend this museum. Later on I went for a bit fancy lunch at this restaurant Trattoria dall'Oste Chianineria and tried the typical steak from this area called Fiorentina Steak. The place looked very deluxe but still cosy and the steak was tasty. I also went for a free tour, really recommend you doing this, it's available in many countries. I met a friend here, and we spent some time together wondering around the city, went to a Central food market to try some typical goodies and in the end of the day we took the famous sandwich at a place called All'Antico Vinaio (3rd picture) and then went to watch the sunset. That the end of my time in Florence and the next day I continued more to the south, but that's for the next time.


Accommodation - The only accommodation I had was in Florence. Here I've stayed in hostel Plus Florence, I would say that this place is really close to the train station and to the centre which is a great bonus. The hostel had a shared kitchen and outdoor and indoor pool. You can choose from different rooms, but I think that at that time there were only mixed rooms left, so I ended up in quadruple room with three males, so sometimes it was quite interesting haha. But overall the rooms were clean, and the staff was really pleasant. 

What to see - Bologna - Two leaning towers, you can also go up to one of the towers, then it's good to see the Piazza Maggiore, Palazzo del Podesta, Fontana del Nettuno, Piazza Santo Stefano or visit some parks just to relax. Modena - Tasting and excursion at the Balsamic vinegar place. Link here: https://giusti.it/. Really worth to visit, you can try so many different flavour and listen to the interesting stories about the history of the vinegar production. It's a free tour but make a reservation in advance. In the end there is a shop, so you can buy some different types of balsamic vinegar and different goodies. Florence - There are many things to see such as the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore (1st picture)Ponte Vecchio (4th picture) - the bridge with a unique architecture of colourful houses on it, the David statue, the Uffizi Gallery (with the art work treasures) and much more. Worth to visit the sunset on the Vista panoramica di Firenze (last picture) because the view above the city is spectacular. 

Tip - Try Free Tours in the city you visit, the tours are for free but it's polite to leave the guides some cash in the end. It always helped me to find some other solo travellers and later do some activities together and of course learn some unknown things about the city.  There are multiple websites for the free tours as an example: freetour.com.

What to eat/drink - Bologna - Restaurant Ve Mo Lá - they have varied menu with home-made Italian dishes. We tried the Lasagna Bolognese (have to try when you're in Bologna) and Bolonzone, both really delicious.  Bardolino - PLEASE Cocktail Bar - Here we had a Hugo spritz (its made with elderberry liqueur, prosecco and soda).  Restaurant Trattoria Bardo - really cute restaurant near the harbour with fresh home-made dishes like seafood or pasta. Nice restaurant to try. FlorenceTrattoria dall'Oste Chianineria - to try the traditional steak (Bistecca alla Fiorentina), Central Food Market - you can try here many delicious Italian meals, All'Antico Vinaio - famous sandwich place. All places from these cities are centrally located.

Approximate days - Bardolino - I would say 1 day is enough to walk through the city to travel around the lake it's worth to stay longer. Bologna - 2 days are enough to explore the city. Florence - I stayed for a 3 days, and it was enough, but there is still so many things to do, its really beautiful place.

My review - Bologna - its' an enjoyable city but to compare it with the rest of Italian cities, it wasn't my favourite. Honestly didn't find many things to do, it was really crowded and just didn't feel the atmosphere there. Bardolino - very lovely city as the others around the Lago di Garda, has many things to offer even thought it's a small place. Really liked the ambience of the city itself. Florence - Even though I'm not a fan of big cites, Florence was one of the exceptions. Really wonderful location which has many things to offer. Of course many historical treasures, views on the city, many shops, restaurants with great cuisine, museums and other secret gems worth to visit. 

👎Mainly for Florence, buy the tickets for the places you want to see in advance, the lines there are huge!


Hope you enjoy my solo travelling journey and maybe get some inspo or courage to travel solo too! Let me know!

Have a good day:) 

Yours Suzy💙

Komentáře